Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9:10pm

Last night at around 9:10pm, I know because I had just looked at the clock, our doorbell rang. Now, considering we are new to this state, and that we really know no one, my heart started beating. At the time of the ring, Brian and I were sitting in bed vacillating between Dancing with the Stars and Sing Off. Brian got up, answered the door, and I stayed put. He was there for about 2 minutes before returning to our room. True to form, B would not have said anything about the interaction at the door, had he not been prompted. Even with prompting, I had to pull information out of him.

"It was the police," he said calmly. "They were looking for some guy, I told them he wasn't here."

My heart rate started to rise as I began thinking about things like "maybe we didn't move to a safe neighborhood" and "did the person who lived here before us leave a criminal record?" I prodded my hubby with more questions.

"So, what else did the cops say? Was it our town police, or the state police?" I asked, trying not to show worry.

"Oh, well they showed me a picture of who they were looking for," B responded, while staying focused on the TV.

"A picture??! What did he look like??" (My worry is really growing now, thinking if maybe I had a chance to see the picture, maybe I could have ID'd the person.)

"Well, it was a man and he was hard to see clearly. He had a bandana covering his face up to his nose, and he was wearing dark glasses. The cops asked if I had seen him, and when I said no, they said they must have the wrong address."

 (This is what I pictured)

What ensued next was minutes of gut laughter from both Brian and I as we realized how stupid his interaction with the police had been. Showing a man's picture with most of his face covered up, then implying this person had lived here caused my husband and I to start laughing like we haven't done in a long time. We began creating scenarios to go along with the stupidity of the cops' request, and both of us were dying in giddy laughter. 

Once the shenanigans stopped, I asked if the cops were being serious or if it was a joke. Brian calmly said, "I was just kidding. He was a short man with dark skin and dark eyes. I told them I hadn't seen him."

.
.
.
.
.

I love this man, and I love that he can still utterly, totally, and completely, have me fooled. 

1 comment: